The California legislature has finalized amendments to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) which are now waiting for Governor Newsome’s signature. One of the most anticipated amendments was AB-1564, the “Toll-Free Number amendment,” which passed both the California Senate and Assembly, making its way to Governor Newsome’s desk for signature.
While likely passage of AB-1564 means that businesses that operate exclusively online and have a direct relationship with a consumer are now exempt from the requirement of having to provide a toll-free number to consumers to log consumer rights requests – the “toll free requirement” still stands for a large number of organizations that conduct business in the state of California.
So, what does this mean for the businesses that must still comply with this requirement?
The requirement is twofold, meaning businesses that do not meet the above exemption must provide both a toll-free number and a way for consumers to submit requests for information via a link on the company’s website, providing two distinct ways in which consumers can submit their consumer requests for information.
OneTrust is here to help meet both of these requirements. With the OneTrust CCPA Consumer Rights Management, businesses can setup both an online intake form for consumer requests and a toll-free number for phone requests.
With OneTrust CCPA Toll-Free Number, you can:
- Get a unique phone number for customers to call in their consumer rights requests
- Setup a customized welcome greeting in line with your company messaging and the CCPA regulatory requirements
- Add identity verification workflows to validate the requestor’s identity
- Integrate with online CCPA Consumer Rights & Do Not Sell solutions
- Automate fulfilling requests with OneTrust Targeted Data Discovery integrations
- Centrally log consumer requests for record keeping
With OneTrust’s CCPA Consumer Rights Management solutions, you can show your consumers that you respect their privacy rights and build automated back-end workflows that don’t disrupt your business with each request.
Check out our CCPA blog series:
- CCPA Amendment Crunch Time
- CA Attorney General Holds Public Forums on the CCPA: What You Need to Know
- The Importance of the CCPA Look Back Requirement and What it Means for Your Organization
- 5 Simple Steps to CCPA Readiness
- CCPA: New Amendment Bills One Step Closer to Becoming Law
- How OneTrust Helps: CCPA Consumer Rights Management
- How OneTrust Helps: CCPA “Do Not Sell” Requirements
- Less Than One Month to Finalize CCPA Amendments
- The Dos and Don’ts of CCPA Consumer Right Requests
- California Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act Ballot Initiative