5 Things You Should Know About GDPR – Video
In a new video series from Bloomberg BNA, Managing Editor of Privacy & Data, Don Aplin, offers viewers a quick summary of the most important, relevant aspects of GDPR.
Here’s the original video:
Summary overview of the 5 things you need to know about GDPR:
- GDPR creates one privacy and data security law for all 28 EU member states (27 if UK follows through with Brexit before May 25, 2018)
- GDPR has a right to be forgotten provision, which allows EU citizens to request that search engines remove search links where privacy outweighs the public’s right to know
- GDPR violators could face huge fines (up to 4% of global revenue)
- GDPR’s two-year deadline gives companies a chance to get their privacy policies and practices in line to avoid those fines
- GDPR’s new, unified law will still leave room for interpretation –– i.e. privacy and data security attorneys will be very busy for the foreseeable future
The new EU GDPR requires organizations to undertake significant operational reform to meet the increased obligations of handling personal data. Appropriate record keeping is critical as the GDPR requires organizations to demonstrate compliance and accountability.
The OneTrust privacy management software platform helps organizations meet these GDPR requirements by automating privacy impact assessments and data mapping, identifying privacy risks, and enforcing risk management activities in an integrated platform.