July 11, 2022
The California Privacy Protection Agency (CPPA) Files Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for the CPRA
2 Min Read
The CPPA announced on July 8, 2022, that it is beginning the process to adopt regulations to implement the Consumer Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (CPRA). This comes on the heels of two important events for the CPPA. On April 21, 2022, rulemaking authority under California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) was transferred to the CPPA, and shortly after, on May 27, 2022, it announced a board meeting in June to discuss a draft version of the proposed regulations.
When will the CPRA regulations come into effect?
Now that the CPPA officially filed a notice with respect to its proposed regulations, the next phase is a 45-day public comment period. This means that until August 23, 2022, the CPPA will accept written comments on the regulations. The CPPA is then set to hold a public hearing on August 24 and 25, 2022.
These dates do come with the following caveats:
- If major changes are made to the proposed regulations, the CPPA must extend another 45 days for a second round of comments to be made on the updated regulations.
- In the case of substantial changes, the CPPA must extend the comment period for another 15 days for further comments to be made.
What happens to the CCPA regulations?
With the CPRA set to come into effect and amend the CCPA, the CPPA proposed regulations aim to address three main areas.
- Make sure that current CCPA regulations are updated to harmonize them with CPRA amendments
- Operationalize the new rights and concepts under the CPRA
- Present the new regulations and requirements from the CPRA in a way that makes them easier to understand
What does this mean for your organization?
With the CPRA coming into effect on January 1st, 2023, organizations still have nearly six months until these new regulations are here to stay. The CPRA Proposed Regulations will be a welcome addition for compliance efforts, as they’re geared towards helping operationalize CPRA requirements. While the current public hearing date is set at August 24 and 25, 2022, regulations under the CCPA underwent several reviews, so there may be further developments yet to unfold.
To learn more about maintaining CPRA compliance, take a look at OneTrust’s CPRA compliance solution and see how your organization can handle these new rights and requirements with ease.